has denied he has been axed as the host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?after ITV earlier confirmed there ‘are no further commissioning commitments’ to the presenter.
It was following his highly controversial newspaper column about , and betting companies are already eyeing up celebrities such as to replace him.
More than 10 television personalities are currently in the running to take to the chair, according to the latest odds from William Hill.
But Clarkson took to Twitter on Wednesday evening to deny the claims, writing: ‘I have not been sacked as host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.’
The former Top Gear host sparked a backlash after fantasising in a newspaper column about the Duchess of Sussex being paraded through the streets naked while people threw ‘excrement’ at her, in an apparent reference to a public shaming scene from the fantasy TV series Game of Thrones.
Jeremy Clarkson has been axed as the host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, ITV confirmed today, following the presenter’s highly controversial Meghan column
Harry Potter actor Warwick Davis, who has previously hosted TV shows such as Tenable, is one of the front runners to takeover as host of the quiz show
It prompted the Press watchdog IPSO to investigate the column and sparked speculation that Clarkson’s hit shows on Amazon Prime had been pulled after bosses at the streaming service were reportedly left ‘incandescent’.
His fans then whether or not he would continue as host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
ITV boss seemed to confirm that Clarkson will not continue in his post beyond the next series, which has already been recorded.
‘We have a contract.We’re contracted to this [season], so we will do that,’ said Ms McCall to magazine, adding: ‘And then we have no future commitments.’
Speaking of Clarkson’s column about Meghan, she added: ‘We don’t endorse that in any way…there’s no place for that on ITV.’
An ITV spokesperson told MailOnline earlier today: ‘As we have said before, ITV has a further series of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Should you loved this short article and you would want to receive more information relating to corinspired.com generously visit our web-site. contractually commissioned (which has now recorded), and no further commissioning commitments beyond that currently.’
But the network later issued a revised statement, which said: ‘As we have said for several weeks, ITV is contractually committed to a further series of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?(which has now been recorded.)
‘There are no further commissioning commitments beyond that currently as is typical with such shows where we make commissioning decisions on a series by series basis.
‘Therefore for the avoidance of doubt neither Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?nor Jeremy Clarkson have been cancelled.’
Clarkson tweeted shortly afterwards: ‘So many kind messages about today’s reports. But relax. Lisa and I have not split up and I have not been sacked as host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.’
Despite the updated statement, betting companies are already offering odds on the frontrunners to replace Clarkson on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?.
ITV boss Carolyn McCall, who forced Piers Morgan out, has now effectively confirmed that Clarkson will not continue in his post
Clarkson wrote in The Sun in December that he ‘hated’ the Duchess of Sussex (pictured with Prince Harry) and wanted to see her paraded through the streets naked while people threw ‘excrement’ at her
Jeremy Clarkson’s hit farming show will return for a third season, the former Top Gear co-host revealed last month.Pictured: Clarkson at Diddly Squat farm
William Hill has placed Harry Potter actor Warwick Davis, Only Connect host Victoria Coren Mitchell, as well as comedians Susan Calman and Sandi Toksvig.